Saturday, October 3, 2009

Spiritus Frumenti

Spirit: Real meaning; true intention; a pervading animating principle, essential, or characteristic quality, or prevailing tendency or attitude.


Here's the opening paragraph of an email I received today: "As you are well aware, we have spent this entire year allocating resources where they can provide the best revenue return to the company." First of all, the original note was dated August 28th and today is, I might point out, October 3rd. This would indicate to me that I'm not front and center with this organization. I'm not in the front and I'm not in the center. I believe I'm in the third balcony, obstructed view, next to the men's room.

The letter continues: "In that spirit, I am announcing . . . " followed by some uninteresting gook. What spirit would that be? The spirit of sacrificing people for corporate profits? The spirit of not giving a shit about anything but the bottom line? Look, I understand that business exists to make money but can't we at least pretend that there's a little something more going on? Somebody should teach this guy how to write a letter. He was probably the snotty kid sending a note to Aunt Blanche thanking her for the ugly socks.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

No comments: