Saturday, May 30, 2009

Write or Wrong

Write Down: To put into written form; write a record of.

I'm telling you that there really is something cathartic and deeply revealing about writing. The founders struck gold when they suggested that we complete a written personal inventory. I spent way too much talking about all my problems, mostly to people who agreed with me, instead of doing something about them. At the end, I didn't even bother to talk; I began the Think-A-Thon. If you want some real bullshit, ask an active drunk what he's thinking about. It's the stuff of bad movies, the kind where you want to yell at the screen: "What is the matter with you? Don't go into that abandoned saw mill where an entire family was cut into pieces yesterday and they haven't found the killer yet and you can hear the saw running right now!"


My thoughts have a way of sorting themselves out very nicely when I write them down. And I tend to dispense with a lot of the self-justification, too, especially when the writing is for my own personal consumption. What's the point of lying and exaggerating when no one else is going to see what I've written? Sometimes when I'm talking --OK, most of the time -- I can feel the boundaries of my stories start to stretch and blur. I wouldn't call it lying, despite the fact that it is pretty much lying, but I sure take some liberties with the hard facts. I make myself look just a little worse or a little better depending on how I want to manipulate my audience.

Write it down. Read it. Eat the evidence. In that order.

No comments: