Friday, November 17, 2023

Scary Stories

 From Step Eight in the 12 & 12:

"We learn how to develop the best possible relations with every human being we know.  Learning how to live in the greatest peace, partnership, and brotherhood with all men and women, of whatever description, is a moving and fascinating adventure."  Here are a few of the most descriptive phrases in the text of this relatively short Step: "a twisted or broken relationship" and "since defective relations with  other human  beings have nearly always been the immediate cause of our woes, including alcoholism" and "violent emotional twists" and "instincts in collision" and "miserly, irresponsible, callous and cold" and "irritable, critical, impatient, and humorless" and . . . well, you get the point: we suck at relationships.  "The kind of harms done to others as practicing alcoholics that make living with us difficult and often unbearable."

I heard this phrase this morning: Feeding the fear.  Which wolf are you going to feed today?

Honesty is a big part of Step Eight.  I always had a good grasp on honesty as it pertained to other people, places, and things.  I was pretty aware when I was telling a lie.  I knew I wasn't telling the truth.  But being honest with myself?  That was always a lot trickier.  I had told myself scary stories for so long that I started to believe them.

No comments: