Thursday, November 16, 2023

Other People

 I was helped immensely early on by being forced to hear over and over stuff that was clearly crap that wouldn't work for me.  I refused to budge.  I refused to consider the fact that the crap was working for hundreds of people in my immediate vicinity.  I would purse my lips, narrow my eyes into a Clint Eastwood squint, shake my head: "Nope.  Not going to do that.  Or that."  Eventually the inevitable question: "How's everything working for you, Seaweed?"  I could never get past that question.  It was intractable.  I had to yield to the group wisdom.  Slowly and with great reluctance.

Buddha, Buddha, on the wall . . . Who's the biggest jerk of all?

Visualization techniques to help grow tolerance: "In front of you to the right, imagine another version of yourself who is a solid mass of egotistical self-centeredness.  (Ed. Note: Yeah, that's not hard to do.  What would be hard is imagining myself in any other way.)  In front of you to the left, visualize a group of poor people, including some who are destitute, needy, suffering.  Consider that we are willing to make temporary sacrifices for a long-term return.  By the same logic, it makes perfect sense for one single person to make sacrifices in order to help a larger good.  Consider your own egotistical self there at your right side, neglecting the welfare of so many.  It simply is not good  to be like this. (Ed. Note: No nuance or equivocation there.)  The point is that you yourself must serve and help other beings."

I hate other people.  Other people are the worst.

No comments: