Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Other People

 "Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type.  Unselfishness recognizes infinite variety of type as a delightful thing, accepts it, acquiesces in it, enjoys it."  Oscar Wilde.

I need to remember this the next time some asshole is doing something that is irritating me.  To be truly unselfish I must be able to enjoy the differences in others.  When I do delight in the variety of people around me, then I feel like I've achieved some true unselfishness, rid of the idea that my way is the best way, the only way.

Spake the Buddha: "You are a minority of one.  It is easy to see that the vast number of sentient beings hoping for happiness and seeking an end to suffering are more important than any one person.  It is therefore eminently reasonable for you to commit yourself to the welfare of innumerable others, to use your body, speech, and mind for their good, and to abandon an attitude of just taking care of yourself."

Other people?  Other people?!  There are other people out there?  Hello?  Hello?

No comments: