Sunday, November 19, 2023

Big Splash Guy

Morality:  A set of personal or social standards for good and bad behavior and character. 

Good morning, Dalai Lama . . .  .

"Care about others at all times.  If you cannot help others,  do no harm.  This is the essential meaning of the practice of morality."

Personally, this sounds like my advice to others: "Try not to be an asshole today."  If you can't be nice, don't be an asshole.  As I've said before I set my own personal ethics bar pretty low.  I've found it interesting that while there are differences in how people see right and wrong most of us can agree on the general tenor and tone of morality.

I've mentioned an A.A. big sister who noted how I handled my cancelled trip fiasco and the A.A. daughter who came back into town and broke away from a group of women with whom she was talking to come over and give me a hug and the A.A. grandaughter who wants me to meet her family when they come to visit over the Thanksgiving holiday.  I realize I've mentioned three women here and no men.  Well, when you're a chick magnet like I am this is inevitable.  But, to show that the guys are in there as well, I have to go back to the dude I don't like all that much who has glommed onto my morning beach walk.  I think he sees something in me that he finds attractive.  And there's another guy who has sort of drifted away from his sponsor (an excellent man, BTW) due to perfectly normal circumstances of schedule, times, the intensity and particulars of work and home life, his length of sobriety, etc. and who has asked to join me a few times on the same walk.  He hasn't asked me to be his sponsor and I haven't offered but our talks are quite similar to the ones I would have with a sponsee.  You know, I'm such a Big Spash kind of guy, always  looking for . . . well . . . ways to make a Big Splash, that I can overlook these incredible little moments.

No comments: