Sunday, November 12, 2023

Making Good Use of Irritating People

 Hard times build determination and inner strength.  Through them we can also come to appreciate the uselessness of anger.  Instead of getting angry, nurture a deep caring and respect for troublemakers because by creating such trying circumstances, they provide us with invaluable opportunities to practice tolerance and patience.

I like "troublemakers" more than "enemies."  But I like "assholes" best of all.

So . . . those assholes that are getting in my way are doing me a favor . . . 

The Dalai Lama says this: "My own practice has benefited from a life of great turbulence and trouble.  You too can come to see the hardships you endure as deepening your practice."

Is it cool to tell the D.L. to go fuck himself?  Probably not but, then again, he'd probably use the comment to grow spiritually.

A woman that I've known for a good while was at the meeting yesterday.  I did not recognize her.  I find that those of us who continue to grow continue to change, including our appearance.  When I was attending meetings with her ten years ago I always liked her but thought of her as a girl, not a woman.  I don't say this disparagingly, either - I myself was a boy and not a man for the longest time.  She was on the mend from a bitterish divorce and has acquired some of that deep patience and understanding that comes from overcoming a trying circumstance.  I personally believe that our appearance changes as we grow spiritually.  I told her after the meeting that I didn't recognize her - even though she clearly knew who I was - and that this was a compliment.  It happened to me for a few years, too, and I was almost offended but clearly perplexed when someone I knew quite well didn't recognize me any more.  Today I get it.

No comments: