Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Walking, Talking Bullshit Machine

 The phrase "I was a walking, talking bullshit machine" came across my mind this morning.  

I once had a therapist tell me that I was "the most self-aware person" she had ever counseled.  She was clearly not aware of the sustained and rigorous self-examination that the recovery process entails.  Look at yourself, look at yourself, look at yourself are the three main pillars of the inventory process.  Quit looking at other people.  They aren't the problem.  I'm always amazed at how self-centered we are.  Whenever someone does something that impacts us personally we assume that it's a reaction to something we've done or said or to who we are as a person.  Again, I shout: "No one is thinking about you!"

Here's the Dali Lama: "Each of us has a responsibility to try to help at the deeper level of our common humanity.  In the deepest sense we are really sisters and brothers, so we must share one another's suffering.  Mutual respect, trust, and concern for one another's welfare are our best hope for lasting world peace.  I am convinced that despite different cultures and different political and economic systems, we are all basically the same.  I believe that the practice of compassion and love - a genuine sense of brotherhood and sisterhood - is the universal religion  What matters is your feeling of oneness with humankind."

No comments: