Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Grab That Power

"We must will to have God's power and we must ask God for it.  God's power is blocked off from us by our indifference to it.  We can go along our own selfish way without calling on God's help and we get no power.  But when we trust in God, we can will to have the power we need."  A.A. Pamplet

I often think about how much time each day I spent planning getting high and drunk, getting my drugs and alcohol and consuming my drugs and alcohol, and getting over drinking too much the next day, before beginning the cycle again.  It was a lot of time.  And it was expensive.  Then I ponder how much time each day I spend on my recovery.  It isn't as much time as I spent on my addiction.  Sometimes I resentful that I have to spend so much time not being an asshole and then I think of the benefits my recovery has given me.  I see people all the time in A.A. that are stuck, sort of swirling around in a holding pattern.  When I ask the magic question: "So . . . how's your Program going?"  I get a deer-in-the-headlights look more often than not.  Shit in - shit out.

No comments: