Monday, September 20, 2021

Beware The Locomotive

 Acceptance:  The act of taking or receiving something offered; the act of assenting or believing.

Acceptance in human psychology is a person's assent to the reality of a situation, recognizing a process or condition (often a negative or uncomfortable situation) without attempting to change it or protest it.  The concept is close in meaning to acquiescence, derived from the Latin acquiēscere (to find rest in).

I'm glad I dug into this concept a little more thoroughly.  The idea of acceptance as the simple act of receiving something was too vague for my liking but the psychological definition of making peace with some person, place, thing, or situation, especially one that we'd rather not have to deal with, is a lot more enlightening, especially especially when we don't make a fuss about it.  Psychological acceptance is the active embracing of subjective experience, particularly distressing experiences.  The idea is not merely to grudgingly tolerate negative experiences but to embrace them fully and without resistance.

Without.  Defense.  Without.  Attempting to change them.  Without.  Bitching about it ad infinitum.

I was a maintenance drinker.  I didn't go on binges, preferring to drink steadily and consistently.  The drunker I got the more sober I seemed.  I was not having fun.  I was drinking to quiet an obsession and override an allergy.  I'm also an It's Never Enough person.  Whatever it is it's not enough.  There is more that must be had.  I was also also a person who would work tirelessly to achieve some goal and then toss the thing away just when success was at hand.  That's the Insanity of the First Drink.  It isn't the last drink that gets you drunk.  It isn't the caboose that runs you over.

No comments: