Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Snow Job

All:        Every one of.
Most:    A large amount of.  
(Ed. Note: Clearly there's some wiggle room.  If I said I want to eat "most" of the M&Ms you could reasonably assume there would be some portion of the candy left.  If I said I ate them "all" you probably wouldn't go looking for any leftover M&Ms and - if you did - it would be a fruitless, meaningless, useless quest.)

"Made a list of all the persons we had harmed and made direct amends to them all."  Step 8.  As you can see the word "all" is used twice and the words "most" or "many" are conspicuously excluded while "some" is not even considered.  I must assume that this is deliberate on the Founder's part.  "Made a list of some of the people we had harmed and made glancing amends to some of them or most of them, depending on how righteous you feel."  This does not have the same oomph as the original.

Allergy:  A reaction by one's immune system to something that does not bother most other people; any condition of hypersensitivity to a substance.

"We have an allergy to alcohol.  The action of alcohol on chronic alcoholics is a manifestation of an allergy.  We allergic types can never safely use alcohol in any form at all.  We cannot be reconciled to a life without alcohol, unless we can experience an entire psychic change.  Once this psychic change has occurred, we who seemed doomed, we who had so many problems that we despaired of ever solving them, find ourselves able to control our desire for alcohol."

Obsession:  A persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling; an obsession with something is an unhealthy, extreme interest in it.

"The tyrant alcohol wielded a double-edged sword over us; first we were smitten by an insane urge that condemned us to go on drinking, and then by an allergy of the body that insured we would ultimately destroy ourselves in the process.  12&12, Step One, P. 22.

If I ever start a craft beer company I'm going to call it "An Allergy and An Obsession."  

More:  In greater number, quantity, amount, or proportion. 

I have a disease of More.  It doesn't matter whether it's a thing or an activity or a thought, once I get rolling the hole expands and I have trouble shoveling enough in to fill it up.  It doesn't matter if it makes me feel better or worse or if it's good for me or bad for me or if I enjoy it or hate it . . . The only thing that matters is that I get more of it.

A woman on the Zoom meeting used the word Snow Job to describe what she was doing to delude herself sometimes.  "Boy, that's probably not a good phrase," she mused afterwards.

No comments: