Saturday, August 7, 2021

Meditation, Baby

 I went to a 11th Step Meditation meeting this morning where several passages that emphasize prayer, meditation, and/or self-examination are read out of "As Bill Sees It."

You want a good meeting?  Read out of the books . . . .

Here are some of the principles mentioned in today's passages that resonated with me . . . 

Our troubles are not something to get upset about.  Everyone has troubles and that's that.  Troubles are part of life and I'm going to have them and so are you.  Moreover, if we look at troubles as a learning tool then we handle them better.  We know there's a lesson there that needs to be absorbed.  At the very least my surmounting my difficulties is going to make me uniquely positioned to help another alcoholic down the road.

There are some irritating people out there.  There are a ton of irritating people out there.  Most people are irritating.  I'm irritating most of the time.  Stop focusing on what you find irritating and, more importantly, stop trying to fix the other person.  That person is fine - the problem is with you.

Pausing when agitated.  Pausing is good.  Pausing is not overrated.  I've saved myself more problems by waiting a beat and then not saying or doing what I want to say or do.  Nobody wants to hear my opinion about anything.

Human nature steers us to problems and difficulties.  I really believe that unlike most of the crap I write.  It must be some innate, in-bred coping mechanism.

Sometimes when I pray I'm just saying the words.  I don't always believe what I'm saying or believe that the prayer is going to change anything.  The words - often used and much beloved - come out flat and listless.  No matter - it's like taking a bad swim.  A bad swim is better than no swim.  Even when the words don't have any real meaning I think saying them helps clear up a channel to my Higher Power that may be clogged with fear and frustration.

No comments: