Friday, August 13, 2021

A Design For Living

Bitter:              Harsh, piercing, or stinging.
Blot:                 To obliterate; to cancel out.
Intolerable:      Not capable of being endured.  

"We were in a position where life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed into the region from which there is no return through human aid, we had but two alternatives; one was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation as best we could, and the other was to accept spiritual help.  We became willing to maintain a certain simple attitude toward life.  What seemed at first a flimsy reed has proved to be the loving and powerful hand of God.  A new life has been given for us, a design for living that really works."  Big Book, There Is A Solution, P.P. 25-28.

Since I'm a word guy I usually dig Bill's flowery, florid, overwrought writing style.   And since I'm a mystical guy I believe that the words - as they ended up in our literature - are there for a reason.  I mean . . . c'mon . . .  bitter and blotting and intolerable.  That guy is not heading for a good outcome

There's an old joke about a drunk who is wandering near the edge of a cliff, gets too close to the edge, and stumbles over.  Halfway down he catches hold of a small branch jutting from the surface.  He's hanging there, arms tiring, looking up at the top of the cliff impossibly far away, then down to the ocean crashing on the rocks dangerously close.

"Help," he tweets.

"I can help you," booms a booming voice.

"Who is it?  Who's there?" he asks.

"God.  It's God, and I can help you.  But first you have to let go - you have to let go of the branch, and I will help you."

The drunk ponders this, his fingers slipping, strength waning, resolve weakening, death imminent.

"Is there anyone else up there?" he yells.

I have been to several meetings recently - I often take notes on comments that resonate with me - where the theme of "difficulties are opportunities to grow" has been the focus.  Or, an AFGA, as a friend says: Another Fucking Growth Opportunity."  Troubles are okay.  I hate this kind of lesson-imparting.  I want to be given things, not to earn them.

No comments: