Sunday, December 20, 2020

Politics and A.A.

I am trying to stay out of the middle of this.  I am trying to keep my resentments to a minimum and my outrage under control.  I have to admit that there may be some long-term, long-lasting resentments evolving at the moment.  If I stay as disengaged from the people involved as possible I stay more peaceful.

I cannot believe that our organization - one that professes a desire to be a responsible and salutary community asset - is ignoring both county and state laws.  And I cannot believe that it's ignoring the misery of our health care workers who are taking the brunt of the awfulness of the pandemic.  And ignoring our fellows who may not have health insurance at all or who can't afford PPE or who may be in such a precarious financial position that that they have to go to work - sick or not, risking spreading the disease even more - and then return to a home that may not be big and roomy and comfy, where there may be extended family members present who are much more at risk.

So what's the message to the newcomer?  Live a lawful, respectful, ethical life . . . unless you don't happen to agree with the laws or the ethics?  I don't think it works that way.  That's chaos.  That's how criminals justify criminal acts: "This company makes a lot of profit so I can shoplift to make ends meet?  Do what I want if it makes sense to me?  Selfish.

My opinion here is not unique.  There are a bunch of people who are as outraged as I am, some of them with very long term sobriety, people who have seen lots of ups and downs in the recovery community but still believe this is outrageous and threatening, a potentially dangerous tipping point.

I guess I AM lucky that most of the people behaving this way I either don't like much or don't respect at all.  But I can't imagine being in a meeting with them again and not having a positive message poisoned by my memories of this behavior.

Politics and A.A.  Whew.

No comments: