Sunday, December 27, 2020

I Heard This

I've been sorta doing a year end review during my Quiet Time writing.  It has been pretty funny.  I'm always struck when I review recent musings how many things are really stuck in there - tasks I want to accomplish, habits I want to eliminate, nursed and intransigent resentments I want to release.  Sometimes I shout: "Just fucking do it already!"  I'm really a big teenager, bitching endlessly about something instead of scooping it off my plate.

I heard this in a meeting recently: "It feels good to matter."

I also heard this: "I think you're confusing boredom with serenity."  The transition from chaos and conflict to responsible citizen, worker, family member can be jarring.  We're so used to living in the middle of an uproar that we miss it when it's gone, in a weird sort of way.  A normal life doesn't have the edge that a drinking one does.  I like that phrase: "We'd rather sit in our own poop than get up and move."

No comments: