Monday, December 21, 2020

Good Reminders

 Good leader at the morning meeting today.  A different morning meeting - not the one that's on my last nerve at the moment.  It has occurred to me that I can go elsewhere if I don't like where I am.

I like the reminder that one of my struggles was the feeling that I didn't quite belong.  I didn't feel comfortable around people.  I felt alone even when I was in a crowd.  I felt like there was a manual for normal living and I didn't get one when they were passed out.

"Either we were shy, and dared not draw near others, or were apt to be noisy good fellows craving attention and companionship, but never getting it - at least to our way of thinking."  12&12, Step Five, P. 57.

I like the reminder that alcohol was - for a long time - a very effective solution to my alcoholism.  I felt alone - I drank and took drugs - and I felt a part of.  One of the big challenges of getting sober was to overcome that feeling of apartness that alcohol and drugs eradicated.

"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol."  Big Book, The Doctor's Opinion, P. xxxviii.

I like the reminder that I find God through other people.  I had no luck finding God while I was wandering about in my spiritual wilderness.  I found God when I found The Fellowship.  God speaks to me through you guys.

Good phrase: "Self-Righteous Indignation."

An excellent version of The Lord's Prayer: "Our Father, Who Art in Heaven, Give it to Me."  In my opinion that's the long form of the short form of The Lord's Prayer."  The Seaweed version goes like this: "Give it to me!  Give it to me!  Gimme Gimme Gimme!!"

Good aphorism: I'm a quick learner and a quick forgetter."

I like the reminder that I'm not better than you and I'm not worse than you.  I make sure I don't divide the world up into people I resent and people I disregard.  Balance!  Get in the middle.

And lest I never, ever, ever forget: no one wants my advice.  I can tell people what I've done (not what I think they should do, a matter beyond my capability); I can point out salient info in our literature; and I can urge them to talk to as many people as possible to get as many different viewpoints as possible (and gently suggesting that they talk to someone with some good experience - someone with relationship problem might not want to seek the counsel of the guy who's been divorced six times).

Ed. Note: I was kidding.  I'm better than you.



No comments: