Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Friends and Family

I'm ruminating on the idea that when someone ticks me off this is often because they're poking at a sore spot.  One of the beautiful things about The Program is that our friends feel comfortable shining a bright light on our defects.  When I was drinking I surrounded myself with other ne'er-do-wells.  We'd get drunk and sit around, congratulating each other on how well we were dealing with all of the jerks and idiots and crooks that flooded into our lives.  Our bad luck was amazing.  Legendary.  Nothing was ever our fault.

Boy, was I irritated when I stepped into The Program and my index fingers were bent back and broken off, depriving me of the ability to point at anyone or anything else.

Family can be hard.  Whenever I think I'm making progress on my defects of character I visit my family.  I remarked once at a meeting that these people were really good at pushing my buttons.  It was pointed out that my family installed my buttons.  They know a lot about how to rile me up.

No comments: