Thursday, April 19, 2018

Admission

Admit:  To concede as true or valid; confess to be true or to be the case, typically with reluctance.

(Ed. Note:  the italics are mine.  I love that the definition indicates that an admission is a begrudged concession, not an easy, willing action.  You are giving something up that you don't want to give up.  You are holding onto something that you should release).

We admitted we were powerless . . . 

"OK, whatever, I'm fucking powerless.  There, you happy?" This is roughly how I admit to anything that has a stranglehold on me.

( I'm going to digress way, way off the path for a minute.  There's this lyric by Ted Nugent which I was compelled to look up because I used the word stranglehold: "Got you in a stranglehold, baby, you best get out of the way" always confused the hell out of me.  How can you get out of the way if you're in a stranglehold, by definition a grip or control so strong as to make escape impossible?  Makes no sense at all.  Pretty good song, though.  I took a short break to listen to it on YouTube even though Ted is an asshole.)

When god closes one door he always opens another, but it sure can be dark in the hallway.

Maybe I'm grudgingly moving forward.  I'm getting tired of writing about all this, that's for sure.  I don't think there are any more words for me to look up in Step 1 and this is saying something because I like words, mostly because they help me avoid writing about what's really on my mind.  I'm at the atomic, elemental level of my vocabulary research unless I want to research words like "were" and "and."

Remember: It's always the darkest right before it goes totally black.

Pessimism:  Tending to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen.  (Synonyms include gloomy, negative, defeatist, cynical, bleak, fatalistic, dark, black, despairing, and hopeless.  Ed. Note: These would ALL be EXCELLENT names for a hard rock band or at least the stage names for the musicians themselves . . . "and on guitar please welcome Despairing . . .")

Optimism:  Hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something.

Also, apropos of nothing, pessimisties is how you say pessimism in Afrikaans.  Never know - might come in handy some day.

I hate optimistic people: cheery, upbeat people who always have a big smile on their face and a sense of unbridled optimism.  I would honestly rather share an office with an ax murderer - an active ax murderer who is currently murdering people with his ax - than one of those cheery people.  These people bring to mind the true meaning of the phrase "Scourge of The Earth."

Scourge:  A person or thing that causes great suffering.  

I had a coffee mug once that said: "Have a Nice Day Elsewhere."

Remember: the light you see at the end of the tunnel may be the locomotive coming straight at you.


No comments: