Monday, February 13, 2017

There Ain't No Way to Hide Your Lyin' Eyes

On to the second "don't do this. . . . "

Satya:  Truthfulness.  Note that sometimes we may know our words are literally true, but do not convey what we know to be truthful.  This is a child's game.  Satya means not intending to deceive others in our thoughts, as well as our words and actions.

Truth is sought, praised in the hymns of Upanishads, held as one that ultimately, always prevails. The Mundaka Upanishad, for example, states:
Translation 1: Truth alone triumphs, not falsehood.
Translation 2: Truth ultimately triumphs, not falsehood.
Translation 3: The true prevails, not the untrue.

I like the phrase: "This is a child's game."  I was sober for a long, long time before I came to grasp the concept that lying means that you are leading someone to believe something that is untrue.  I really thought it was about the words I used.  I took great pride in my ability to torture the shit out of the English language until I lied without using the actual lying words.  I was also good at letting believe something that was a lie because I remained silent instead of contradicting the lie.  Same result: person believed that which was untrue.

I have no idea what it means to deceive another with my thoughts.  I'll have to ponder that one.

True:  Conforming to the actual state of reality or fact; factually correct.
Lie:  To give false information intentionally.
Fact: Something actual instead of invented; something which is real.

Those are all excellent definitions.

No comments: