Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A Dude Called Eric

Resent:  To express displeasure or indignation at.

There's technique that implies if an individual prays every day for two weeks for the health, well-being, and peace of mind of some asshole who desperately needs to be throttled to within an inch of his life then that resentment will begin to melt away.  I guess.  Whatever.  Never tried it, personally, being addicted to wallowing in a comfortable state of smug self-importance and knowing superiority.  I guess I should try it on this guy in my meeting, Eric, who I'll call "Eric" in an attempt to safeguard his anonymity, even though this cretin would never read my blog, incapable as he must be in parsing out the subtle wit and deep insight found here.

Seriously, it is the weirdest thing how much this kind of repetitive prayer can accomplish.  I've been including my mama, papa, and old sponsor in a prayer of release for a few months, and I've found a nice sense of release.  I can think about them, remember them, without drifting into a state of mind that makes me sad or remorseful.  I've been adding kind words about The Old City and about some of my friends there, too, thanking them for the big part they played in my life and wishing them the best of luck, with the result that I can look back comfortably on all of it, without an aggrieved sense of loss or resentment.

I'm trying to figure out where to go next with my praying.  I don't have a big prayer life.  It's not the way I get my spirituality to grow most of the time - not to be ignored but not to be obsessed over, either.  My lovely wife has pointed out that if she prays the same prayer for too long then she stops thinking about the prayer and just begins to recite words without thinking about them.

Maybe Eric.  Maybe Eric would be a nice addition.


No comments: