Saturday, February 11, 2017

Not All Prayers Are To My Liking

There's a guy at my morning meeting who is a real horse's ass.  Please note I didn't say I think he's a horse's ass - he really is a horse's ass, and he's been sober for ever, proving that long-term sobriety is no panacea for being a jerk.  He took a 40 year chip yesterday and spent five minutes talking about paying for sex early on - and not in a remorseful way, either.  Gleeful pride is more what comes to mind.

Anyway, being an intolerant son-of-a-bitch, especially when I'm dealing with clearly objectionable human beings, I make an effort to not let my judgment of others turn into a resentment.

Someone sent this to me once:

Prayer for Relief from Resentment

I release you from my hurt feelings.
I free you from my reading of your motives.
I withdraw my justified outrage, 
And I leave you clean and happy in my mind.

In place of censure, I offer you
All of God's Peace and Contentment.
I choose to perceive you singing,
With a soft smile of freedom, 
And a rich glow of satisfaction.

I bless you.

You are a shining member of the Family of God,,
And I will wait patiently until this Truthful Vision
Becomes a firm part of my Reality.

I pray God bless you with all of the Good Things in Life
That I want for myself:
Sanity, Sobriety, Good Health, Prosperity, and Peace of Mind, 
For I know that if we had those things, there would be no problems between us.

All things are healed between us, now and forever.

All things are healed in me, now and forever.

Amen.

Yeah, I don't get it, either.  What's with all of the capitalization?  Good Health does not serve as a metaphor for anything but good health.  You can lose the capitals.  And I'm going to imagine some racist, misogynistic, homophobic dude singing with a soft glow on his face.

No comments: