Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Laws of Seaweed

Law:  A well-established, observed physical characteristic or behavior of nature.

I have been musing over the concepts of spiritual laws or laws of nature.  I have, in my past, mused exclusively over the laws of man, mutable, imprecise, discretionary things that they are.  So much of my youth was spent breaking the law and being in trouble with the law and hiding from the law that I confused these specific things thought up by ordinary humans with the immutable laws that run the universe.  I might be able to find a place where there is no law against smoking marijuana - I will not find a place where the law of gravity does not apply should I be interested in testing it by throwing myself off of a cliff.

If someone cautions me not to stick my hand into a boiling pot of oil they are warning me to respect a law that has no nuance.  Being a laws of man obsessive-compulsive I thought I could sidestep the laws of nature as I sometimes successfully avoided the laws of man.  When this was proven foolhardy, I would get mad at the person telling me not to stick my hand in the pasta water.  If you get a ticket I can see how you might be frustrated with the system - speed traps and cops who should be spending their time doing important things and unfair punishment for great drivers and the such.  You might think the law is stupid and should be changed, maybe even agitating for a new law.

Good luck with that on the gravity front, Roadrunner.

This is why we don't tell people who show up at meetings that they can't drink or they shouldn't drink or they oughtn't drink.  We don't want people to confuse the messenger with the consequence.  Not really our business what anyone does.  We do have some hard-won experience with the consequences of abusing spiritual laws, and we share these freely.  We don't have to pile on with a whole lot of you oughta or you shouldn'ta.  My sponsor is very strict about not giving me specific advice - we talk things over, look at different options, then I do something or don't do something as I follow my conscience to the best of my ability, with the result being my own doing.

Most of the time when I live an ethical life stuff works out well for me, but not always.  Bad shit happens to good people, right?  God makes it rain on the just and on the unjust to get all Biblical on you.  Why this is remains an unknowable mystery to us ants.  I generally don't let it get under my skin for long.  I generally pick up the pieces and move on. 

No comments: