Friday, January 24, 2014

This Is The End

Glad that my trip has come to an end.  Glad to be going home and really glad that I consider my destination to be home.  I see in retrospect that The New City was a way point on my journey to where I am now.  Home.

As I struggled through my tasks I turned to people - both in The Fellowship and out - for some confirmation that the way I was feeling - resentful, disconnected - didn't make me a bad person. Here's the advice I got from most of them: "Family is hard."  I also noted that folks like me who have moved away from their hometowns were more likely to feel a connection.  We have, after all, moved away.  This implies that what we left was not as big an attraction as it is for some people.

I can step away from a lot of unpleasant tasks but family matters imply some obligation.  These folks raised me and they didn't make a mess of it.  It can't be easy raising children - it certainly can't be easy raising an insane, self-destructive alcoholic.

I got a lot done.  I think my behavior was decent.  It wasn't fun.  I didn't enjoy it.  I wasn't on vacation.

I got to see what old looks like.  I don't mean getting older, either, bitchy about little aches and pains.  I mean seriously old.  I got to see what old looks like for people who didn't exercise, who didn't challenge themselves mentally - preferring the easy out of The Television, and who stayed isolated from other people, for years and years and years.  There's a harsh collapsing-in effect. 

I'm the most intolerant man in The Fellowship and I look like the Dali Lama on an extended meditation binge compared to them.  I can see that some people want to be old - seemingly to indulge all of their aches and pains.  It seems weirdly enjoyable.  But the retirement home had a ton of similarly old folks who seemed to be making the best of it.

If you keep doing what you've done you're going to keep getting what you've gotten.

No comments: