Friday, January 10, 2014

Little Stevie Seaweed - On the Road Again

Whenever I have some type of problem in my life - real or imagined - the source of my problem invariably comes down to powerlessness.  I have begun to labor - once again - under the illusion that I'm in control of something.  The persistence of this illusion is astonishing.   I'm not in control of much.  

Whenever I struggle with my powerlessness I find that the solution can be found in the concept of acceptance.  I need to accept people for who they are, not who I want them to be.  A world populated by millions and millions of Little Stevie Seaweeds would be a grim and dysfunctional place indeed.  I believe that Dante's 10th Circle of Hell is full of Little Stevie Seaweeds, banging their little drums of outrage and frustration.  There's quite a din.

Whenever I need to work on my acceptance I find that trying to place myself into a position of maximum service fits the bill.  It really works.  It's beyond counter intuitive.  The more I think about myself - my favorite thing to think about  - the unhappier I become.   I don't really know how I could fit more thinking-about-myself time into a 24 hour day.  It's really a full time job.

I'm not going home because I want to.  I'm going home because I think I can be of service.  And I'm not going home to be of service in the way that I think I should be of service.  I'm going home to help people in a manner that they want to be helped.  It doesn't matter what I think of their plans - it's what I can do to help make their lives easier.

This Program can be SO FRUSTRATING!

No comments: