Friday, February 1, 2013

To Make A Present or Gift Of

Giving is when you give something.  Giving is not taking; it is not receiving so I don't get anything when I give as that would be taking, the direct opposite of giving.  It's outgoing, not incoming.

To Earth People this conversation would sound ridiculous, which is why I wouldn't have it with them.  Earth People don't have to write these things down to see how they look on paper.  They don't ponder them, probe them for new insights, come to startling revelations.  They give or they don't, and they know what they're doing.  It's an act remarkable in its simplicity, profound in its implications.

I offered to chip in with whatever help I could give to a family member who was hosting a holiday get-together.  "You want to help?" she snapped.  "Write me a check for $25."  She was nursing a resentment that my question released.  I vowed that she would get the $25 when she pried it from my cold, dead fingers.  A buddy of mine in The Program said: "Write her the check."  He knew the cost of my resentment was one thousand and twenty five dollars.  I sent the check - she cashed it without comment.

I need to give what someone wants to receive: money occasionally, attention and interest as a matter of course.  It doesn't make any difference if I think it makes sense or not - the giving is for the other person.  If it's boring or a big waste of my precious time is beside the point.  The giving is the point.

I have to tell myself "That's not the point" far too often.

No comments: