Thursday, February 7, 2013

One Potato, Two Potato, Three Potato, Four

I leave The New City, in the grip of winter.  Cold, wet, and gloomy on a sunny day.  I make a drive south, through some pretty high mountain passes, snow blanketing the heights just above the highway.  I get to my temporary rental, which I decide to immediately hate.  I ferret out every flaw, every potential flaw, anything to be remotely annoyed about, now or in the future, ignoring the fact that I'm in a position to escape winter for a few months.  That would entail gratitude which I avoid like the plague.

I wait patiently.  I do the work, hang in there, and fall in love with The First Vacation Home.

After a few months we move to a place with an extra bedroom so my mom can visit.  Well, really so that SuperK can get as far away from me as possible.  I hate The Second Vacation Home immediately and wish I was back at the First Vacation Home which I hated before I fell in love with it.  I've forgotten all about that already.  That would require gratitude and perspective, a deadly duo.  I hate The Second Vacation Home so much that I'm ready to go back to The New City where winter has worsened, making it the least desirable of the three options.  That would imply gratitude, perspective, and intelligence, which I refuse to acknowledge as a viable option.

As you can see my grip on reality is tenuous, and laughable.

No comments: