Monday, September 10, 2012

The Push

Push:  To thrust or press against (a thing) so as to move it away. 

I have had something on my mind the last few weeks.  It has been a problem only because I've been making it into a problem.  I can do that.  I can take something very ordinary and make it a problem.  It's a hell of a party trick.  In fact - and this is the case here - I can take a good thing and make it into a problem.  Mostly, I try to get my own way.  This is OK within limits - I am a human being after all - but I have only a glancing familiarity with limits.  I push and push and push and push.

I called my New City sponsor to discuss this.  I call him sometimes and sometimes I call my Old City sponsor.  The new guy and I are very similar people and the old guy is my polar opposite.  I find the tension between these two divergent points of view to be helpful.  Interestingly, I get very similar advice most of the time.  

It's not about any specific advice.  It's the reaching out to another live person and breaking the isolation that's important.  I rarely get a new, earth-shattering revelation but I always get relief.

No comments: