Sunday, September 2, 2012

Future Tripping

A constant source of amazement for me is how much time I spent living in the future.  It's also amazing that I'm amazed at how often I consciously choose to do something I don't particularly want to do and know isn't all that good for me.  I'm a complicated guy; either that or I'm an idiot.

I spend huge, vast amounts of time in the future.  And, pointing out the obvious, I'm not actually in the future; my mind may be projecting into the future but me - Seaweed - I'm not actually there.  I don't believe I've ever been in the future apart from the odd bad acid trip.  I can't control the future, either, despite my constant attempts to do so.  And I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't want to be able to control the future even if this power were given to me.   I base this statement on the disaster I make of things when I do get what I think I want and am sure I need, until I find out that neither of those statements are true.

I wonder why  I'm so fascinated with what will probably never happen.  I'm certain I've spent months of my actual physical life preparing conversations, sprinkled with witty comebacks and sparkling observations, that have never happened.  The fistfights, the disasters, the losses of job and loved ones and life and limb, none of which has ever happened.

One day at a time.

No comments: