Monday, September 24, 2012

Easily, Schmeezily

Easily:  With ease; without much difficulty or effort; without pain or discomfort.

"We ask especially for freedom from self-will, and are careful to make no request for ourselves only.  We may ask for ourselves, however, if others will be helped.  We are careful never to pray for our own selfish ends.  Many of us have wasted a lot of time doing that and it doesn't work.  You can easily see why."

No!  I cannot easily see why.  I cannot see why after having spent a huge amount of time and effort trying to see why.  It makes no sense to me.  It still makes no sense to me that I should spend any time at all thinking of others.  What benefits are going to accrue to me if I spend time thinking about someone else!?  It takes away valuable time I could be using to think about myself and how I can accrue more money, power, and sex.

This is why we have The Book.  This is why I read The Book and why I read other good books, too - there is a lot of help to be found for raging egomaniacs like me.  Wise men and women have been pondering this stuff for centuries.  These are not new problems.  I am not special.  I do NOT have problems that cannot be solved.  My problems are remarkably simple.  And I can find answers to sticky wickets like this.  I have to read on, not stop and fume when something honks me off which is often.  I have a big horn.

Here we go.  Here's the payoff: "We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions.  We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves."

Ah.   OK.  Nice.

No comments: