Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thank God I Didn't Have To Put That Together

Success:  The gaining of wealth, rank, fame, etc.

When SuperK and I moved into our current apartment we brought a lot of our furniture with us.  Before our first move - from a big, barn-like house to our transitional rental - we got rid of a lot of stuff.  It was the easy stuff - crap that was in the basement, worn-out furniture, broken junk, and the like.  The second move down in size has been harder; we jettisoned some more stuff and some stuff that had a lot of sentimental value.  As an irrelevant aside I'll say that what I think something is worth and what a possible buyer thinks that thing is worth has been off consistently by a factor of 10 or so.

Still, when our wonderful movers had gotten everything situated right where we wanted it in our new place it reminded me somewhat of the appearance of the inside of a pack of cigarettes before the first smoke is removed.  We actually lost SuperK inside for a few weeks.  We knew she was in there somewhere.  We still don't know where the cat is.  We can hear her scrabbling around from time to time and she cleans out her food dish but we haven't seen her since late last year.

So we bought a cheap bedroom set last week, one that is specifically designed for a small space, one that seemed to require an advanced degree in mechanical engineering to assemble.  Not that I would know as I got the hell out of there when all that was going on.  SuperK did a nice job.   But it's hard giving up the stuff.  I don't feel as important with my cheap bedroom set as I did before.  I don't feel like I'm a big success.

Judge me by my furniture - not by my actions.

No comments: