Friday, July 9, 2010

Someone is Out to Get Me

"The chief activator of our defects has been self-centered fear -- primarily fear that we would lose something we already possessed or would fail to get something we demanded."

My 7AM meeting today concentrated on a most irritating concept: that I don't always know what's best for me. In fact, I rarely know what's best for me. OK, OK, I never know what's best for me.

"Fear somehow touched every aspect of our lives. It was an evil and corroding thread; the fabric of our existence was shot through with it."

I like the phrase "evil and corroding thread."

"When our failings generate fear, we then have soul-sickness. This sickness, in turn, generates still more character defects. Unreasonable fear that our instincts will not be satisfied drives us . . .



I also like the phrase "soul sickness." That would be a great name for a rock band. At least a great name of a song.


"Every time he tries to look within himself, Pride says, 'You need not pass this way,' and Fear says, 'You dare not look!'"

I think it's pretty cool that the original writers of this material -- which I definitely did not lift verbatim out of established texts no doubt covered with iron-clad copyright protection -- like to capitalize fear and pride. FEAR! PRIDE!! See how effective it gets when I punch it up a little bit?

Anyway, my Higher Power knows what's best for me. My HP is quite firm about this. Personally, I don't always care for this arrangement. I'd prefer to be in charge of my trials and tribulations, which would vanish like smoke in the wind. I'd scratch the phrase "trials and tribulations" from the dictionary.

Skipping down the flat, broad, well-landscaped path of destiny.

No comments: