Saturday, July 3, 2010

3 Shots and A Massage

So I'm sitting at my coffee shop, talking to SuperK, who is out of town, and Farmer Bill strolls by. He obviously tried to avoid me, but I caught his eye so he had no choice but to sit down for a minute, just to be polite. While I finished up the call, he went inside to get a drink. I walked in, catching him finishing off something in a paper cup. He was standing at the fixins' bar. He didn't even sit down. The whole transaction took a minute.

"I guess a triple shot of espresso right before I get a massage isn't such a great idea," he remarked.

I laughed pretty hard.


"You looked like you were knocking back a shot of cheap whiskey," I said. "When's your massage, anyway?"

He looked at his watch. "Five minutes," he replied.

This makes sense to me. I was the guy who drank a pint of whiskey every time I did too much coke. It never occurred to me to not do the coke. That was crazy talk.

Anyway, to be honest about it, I was having my cup of coffee right after a long swim. I know that when the endorphins are pumping after a work out, then the coffee is a real booster shot. I'm going to assume that the calm sense of well-being after exercise is the point for most people. I'm an alcoholic. I never pass up an opportunity to accentuate good feelings or mask bad ones.

Bartender! A shot for me and three for my horse!

No comments: