Saturday, June 6, 2009

Till Death Do Us Part

SuperK and I were sitting in the backyard today reading. She had a book and I was working on the NY Times. I read an article about a woman who writes a column about relationships, how people fall in love, when they "knew." The reporter hadn't done too well in the relationship department and was bemoaning this fact.

I put down the paper. "When did you know you wanted to marry me?" I asked.
SuperK looked at me: "Are you kidding me? This is what you've got for me?" She thought for a minute. "I have no idea," she said. We laughed pretty hard.

"How about you? When did you know you wanted to marry me?" Then she answered for me as she often does. I don't have to say much most of the time. "You never wanted to marry me. I dragged you into this kicking and screaming." Then she told me what she considered my worst character defect. We both laughed pretty hard again. She was dead on and it didn't bother me at all.

"Tell me something I don't know," I said.


"How about me? What do you think my worst character defect is?" I had no idea how we got from "when did you know" to "why do you hate me" but I couldn't stop the momentum.

I thought for a minute. "There are so many to choose from," I said. "I can't pick."

"Tell me something I don't know," she said.

We resumed reading.


No comments: