Friday, June 19, 2009

The B-Man: Leprechaun or Urban Legend?

Legend: A story of some wonderful event, handed down for generations among a people and popularly believed to have a historical basis, although not verifiable.

Legend has it -- Irish legend, not urban legend -- that a leprechaun sits at the end of the rainbow, hammering on a shoe. We don't think that he is somewhere over the rainbow, either. And no one has been able to explain the difference between the end of the rainbow and the start of the rainbow. Maybe he's at the start of it. That would make more sense unless it doesn't.

It isn't clear why he's hammering on the shoe -- the legend doesn't go into detail as to why the leprechaun is preoccupied with cobbling. Maybe it does. It's not like I look anything up. I think that I'm completely comfortable with total leprechaun speculation.

Anyway, the point is that if you find this creature, it's rumored that he reveals where he has hidden his pot of gold. I can't imagine that he would just volunteer the location of a whole pot of gold. Maybe it's a very small pot. Maybe it's fool's gold. Maybe you have to beat him up. Seems this would be easy to do because he's pretty small, but Irish leprechauns have a reputation for being tough. Still, two feet tall is two feet tall. Me, personally, I would be more worried about a troll or a hobgoblin but, as they don't have riches to divulge and live under bridges and the like, I would have no reason to fuck with one of them, besides meanness or spite.
The point of all this is that you can't ever get to the end of the rainbow, according to the scientists, because it's an optical illusion. If you try to reach the end, it just seems to move farther away. Very frustrating. Leprechauns are said to enjoy mischievous pranks and this one is a real ace in the hole for them.

That's why it's not very bright to chase that pot of gold, because you can't get to it, which is what I'm driving at. I like the imagery, the constant striving to get to something which is always just out of reach. That's me: I want what I can't get at. And usually the stuff I get doesn't make me any happier than the stuff I already have.

Which is the point.

No comments: