Wednesday, June 10, 2009

More Rhetoric

Rhetorical Question: A question asked, as in oratory or writing, only for rhetorical effect, to emphasize a point, introduce a topic, etc., no answer being expected.

One of the rhetorical questions we hear in A.A. all of the time is: "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?" I guess this doesn't really qualify as a rhetorical question because we are expected to give an actual answer. We are expected, in fact, to give the correct answer.

I think the answer is simple: I want to be RIGHT! Being a hyper-active, hyper-competitive Type A personality I go right into Winner Take All mode whenever there is a contest of the wills. I want to win. I want to vanquish my opponent. I want this success even if I don't care a whit about what I win. I just want to win. Winner take all! King of the Hill!

SuperK calls me a Street Fighter and I don't think she's using this term in a complimentary fashion. She knows that, in a fight, I don't maintain very high standards. I pull hair, poke eyes, groin stuff, whatever it takes to end up on top, even if The Prize is a box of agitated scorpions.

This is an understandable point of view for someone with my amazing vision of How The World Should Work. I see far into the future. I know what's best for everyone. I can predict how everything is going to work out. I don't want to take one step back to gain two steps forward. I want to be moving forward with grim purpose and turbulent determination.

Don't you hate it when you cede just a little bit, and things work out better than you could have expected?

P.S.: I'm happily married.

No comments: