Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Problems

"So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making."

I received a bill from my doctor's office a few months back. My medical insurance -- which I almost always take for granted, unless there is a minor annoyance or delay that I can immediately ratchet up to the level of an international crisis -- had already paid for most of the charges. I called the billing center and used my credit card -- which is a gift I didn't enjoy when I was drinking, I might add -- for the outstanding amount. I should probably also point out that the visit found me in excellent health -- a fact I ignore until I get sick, at which point I bitch until the cows come home, and there is no livestock in my back yard at the moment.

However, the doctor's office incorrectly charged me twice for the one visit. I expected this. I expect the worst. I figure that they are sly devils looking to steal some of my hard earned money. I called my best generals, massed the troops, and prepared for battle. My voice was shrill and shaking with barely contained rage. One excuse and I was going to blow like Krakatoa. To my great dismay, they immediately apologized and sent a credit through for the incorrect billing. Where's the fun in that? A perfect opportunity to vent some self-righteous spleen wasted!

The corrected bill that came a few weeks later had a confusing array of credits and new charges and old charges. Annoyed, I threw the bill away. They sent another bill. I shredded that one, burnt the scraps, and scattered the ashes in a remote forest. This is an old alcoholic trick -- pretend that something doesn't exist. Pretend that something bad didn't happen. The letter from the collection agency that showed up finally got my attention, and I paid the bill.

The funny thing is that the amount that I owed was not significant. The amount itself was not important -- it was the fact that I felt like someone was taking advantage of me. I spent a lot of time arguing over this money. I got angry, I rehearsed conversations, I sifted through old bills and insurance claim forms, I regretted actions. After I sent the check in, I forgot about it almost immediately.

How important is it?

No comments: