Sunday, June 23, 2024

Taking It Down a Notch

There's a man that attended the Keep It Complicated group regularly before the Great Schism drew him to the hardliner meeting.  He has a horrific back story - convicted of murder committed during a crime followed by a 25 year stint in prison, where he got sober.  He was paroled from prison and has completed this parole so he's a free man for the first time in 30 years.  He has started attending Keep It Complicated again and I'm really struck by the difference in his personality - to my way of thinking, anyway - since I last saw him regularly.  He was so committed to Alcoholics Anonymous - so fierce in his desire to help others recover, especially the low bottom drunks - that he came across as somewhat preachy and fervent and inflexible about how The Program should be worked.  He talked at every meeting and he talked for a long time when he talked.  I found him somewhat annoying.  I like the words pious and sanctimonious.  They imply that one's shit doesn't stink.  They imply that if you're not doing it the way I say it should be done that you're doing wrong.

Today he has taken the whole thing down a notch.  Down a notch can be good.  I tend to overdo most things so I've developed a thing for dialing back the intensity; so much so that it's automatic and unconscious a lot of the time.  When I realized that my intensity was fucking with my enjoyment of life I began to see that maybe a little less was okay, that it still allowed me to accomplish my goals without making them so odious that they became thankless chores.

Slower can be good.

No comments: