Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Distractions

Take a good, strong look at the emotional response you're trying to get rid of.  Actually ponder it.  See how it makes you feel.  Look at what it's doing to your life, your happiness, your health, and your relationships.  Try to see how it makes you appear to others.  I think that this relentless self-examination that we do in Alcoholics Anonymous is one of the keys to a contented life.  When I'm uncomfortable I usually try to do something that makes me comfortable or I try to convince myself that I'm not really uncomfortable.  This is missing the point.  I need to look at whatever is causing my discomfort and then just sit with it.  Don't try to make it go away.  

It's a plagiarism morning . . . 

"Distractions come in all sizes, shapes, and flavors.  Buddhist philosophy has organized them into categories.  One of them is the category of hindrance."  He goes on to list some hindrances such as greed, aversion, desire, lethargy, agitation, and doubt.  I like that lethargy and agitation come right next to each other.  It's kind of a "I'm pissed but I'm not going to do anything about it"  situation.  Desire and greed I get.  Fair enough.  Normal emotions but often overdone.  Aversion?  That's my sweet spot.  That's my middle name.  Aversion is in my wheelhouse.  At worst I'm going to rope a double down the right field line with aversion.  "Having a strong dislike or opposition to something."  To something?  To everything!  You know what the opposite of aversion is?  Trick question!  Aversion is everything!


No comments: