Saturday, June 15, 2024

Risk Analysis or Process Control Managment?

 Risk Analysis:  A process that helps organizations identify and analyze potential issues that could negatively impact governmental projects or business projects.  The goal is to help organizations avoid or mitigate these risks.  

Process Control:  A discipline that uses industrial control systems and control theory to achieve a production level of consistency, economy, and safety that could not be achieved purely by human control.

So I didn't really take a liking to very many people on our cruise.  This, in and of itself, is not that unusual as I don't take a liking to very many people anywhere.  The drawback for me was that the more of anything a person has the more entitled and special they feel; whether this is money, power, athletic prowess, beauty, or any of the other very important but overly valued instincts and dark arts.  "What do you/did you do for a living?" is right up there with an interest in a person's hometown as the most likely question one is asked.  Long ago, embarrassed at saying "salesman" I started trying to embellish the title somewhat, never to a great deal of personal satisfaction.  It's my impression that the people who ask what I do for a living want to tell me what they do for a living and that they're not really interested in what I do for a living except as a necessary impediment to get through so they can tell me what they do for a living, about which I could give a shit.

So, purely for my own personal amusement, I started telling people I was a partner in a process engineering firm.  No one ever asks follow up questions to that and if they do they're easily parried, as I do have some inkling of what process engineering is.  I was involved with processing engineering in an oblique and peripheral way but that's about it.  I could even field a few follow up questions confidently and once, when some one questioned me a little too thoroughly, I answered: "I don't know - I had employees that figured that stuff out for me."  That was a regal addition to my fabricated life.  I figured that if I was talking about a job I didn't do I could delegate tasks to people who didn't exist.  It's all in the cloud, baby.

On this cruise I was reading a book where the main character really was a risk analyst.  He worked with insurance companies who wrote policies for ships and mines and factories in foreign countries and were interested in knowing about political and social unrest that could threaten their investments.  Sounded pretty cool so I tried it out a few times.  It was a bit dicier since I didn't know what a risk analyst was or what a risk analyst does so if someone asked more than a few shallow questions - unlikely, I wagered - I was cooked, revealed a liar.  I have decided that my pleasure in the deception was worth the potential embarrassment at being caught out as a liar and that if I was caught I could just chuckle, raise my hands, and laugh it off as a harmless bit of fun on my part, like wearing a spooky mask at Halloween.

No comments: