Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Old Yeller

 If I was more of a religious guy I'd say that sometimes shit happens that's so ridiculously transparent that there's no other explanation than that of God or a God acting directly in my life.  Either that or it's a hell of a coincidence that I'm choosing to interpret as the act of God or a God or some God.  I'm always suspicious of people who offer up a fervent prayer to their God because they're late for an appointment and Viola! some asshole in a Porsche pulls out just as they're pulling up.  I dunno.  I'm not sure God has the time to monkey around with parking spaces in my small hometown.  He's got like a billion people in India to keep an eye on, too.

I was talking with SuperK yesterday - instead of my sponsor who, I realize now, would have been a better choice - about whether I owed an amends to the "Fuck you, Reuben!" character from the Break-Away Keep It Complicated meeting who so offended me a few months back.  In fact, I was so offended I de-friended him on Facebook, confirming that I still have the emotional maturity of a middle-school drop-out.  I should have added "Liar! Liar!  Pants on Fire" to my opprobrium as well.  That would have really showed him who was boss.

Anyway and here's the funny thing and this is why I should just keep my mouth shut 95% of the time . . . it wasn't actually this guy who suggested that Reuben do something that is anatomically impossible but which if he could, in fact, do he would be the happiest human on earth.  It sounded like this guy who, by the way, has been given the nickname Angry Bob so it wasn't that unreasonable for me to assume that he was, in fact, the yeller, yet it was not him.  It was another different asshole.

Actually, I've always had a soft spot for this character.  He fights everything . . . like me . . . and you can't tell him shit if it isn't his own idea . . . like me . . . and he's really working hard on getting better . . . like . . . well, like someone.  I enjoy people who can laugh at themselves.  This morning we had a tag meeting and after I shared I called on Bob.  I've been taught that when I find someone offensive I need to draw close to find out exactly why this is because I usually learn something valuable about myself.  Bob talked about being in the situation of having to take over some responsibility for his aging parents.  This gave me the opportunity to text him to share some of my experience on chipping in with my folks when they were failing  and how one of the things I've never been proud of after the fact is how little I did compared to how much I could have done

No comments: