Sunday, April 25, 2021

Keep It Complicated

"Try saying: "God bless her (or him)" of anyone who is in disharmony with you.  You should only desire blessing for them.  Leave God's work to God.  Occupy yourself with the task that He gives you to do."

Boy, the bullshit is thick this morning.  I'm planning on occupying myself with myself today.  It's Sunday - the day set aside for total self-absorption.

Next Saturday is the big Business Meeting for the Keep It Complicated group when we'll be discussing how and when the group should start meeting in person - the church has given us a tentative go-ahead - and how and if we should try to engage the malcontents in the breakaway group.  As you might imagine I have a lot of definite ideas as to how this should go.  I'm suppressing the fact that it won't go this way.  I'm really suppressing the fact that when it doesn't go this way I'll be somewhat ticked off.  I spoke briefly yesterday to my wife's sponsor who is also the moderator for the Business Meeting and a member of the Steering Committee that met recently to discuss how and what should what should be brought up at the Business Meeting, a meeting which will be poorly attended by the group members, who are apparently a lot smarter than I am as I plan to attend.  Yeah, sounds complicated, don't it?

First of all, my wife's sponsor is great woman.  The only flaw in her participation - and the participation of most of the other non-Eastern U.S. members of the group - is that she will bend over backwards to make sure every fucking last scrap of minutiae is flogged to death with a cat-o'-nine-tails.  People are so nice out here they make me sick.  Everyone should be flogged with the cat-o' before we start just to make sure they're paying attention to what I want to have happen.

Seriously, though, sometimes we take a simple thing and make it complicated.  Currently the members are meeting on Zoom.  Now the church has offered the meeting space again for in-person meetings with plenty of understandable conditions such as wearing PPE and strict attendance limits, in accordance with state and county regulations.  Fine, open the meeting up to whoever wants to attend and let anyone who is still uncomfortable attending in person stay engaged on Zoom.  Boom.  Adjourn the meeting.  The problem, of course, with all of the varied and sundry and deranged personalities in any Alcoholics Anonymous group is that the opinions and desires are going to be all over the place.

Brother Seaweed is going to take a Vow of Silence.

No comments: