Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Dude Said

 I was talking to an old timer outside a meeting when I was new and struggling to stay sober.  I told him I was a partier, that I just liked to party.  "Dude, you weren't partying," he said.  "You were drinking."

Dude nailed it.

The story we read this morning from the Big Book concluded with the writer being reunited with his long-estranged family.  I like the happy endings.  The happy endings are more fun.  Our experience is that most of the wreckage we created when we were running and gunning can be repaired, and this is great news.  We don't have a tremendous success rate sobering up damaged alcoholics as it is so if we had to say to most of them at the start: "We know it's bad now but this is as good as it gets" our success rate would crater.

Resentment:  Bitter indignation at having been treated unfairly; a feeling of anger because you have been forced to accept something that you do not like; a feeling of anger or displeasure stemming from the belief that one has been wronged by others or betrayed.

I like the implication that we don't even have to be treated poorly or unfairly, only that we believe or perceive that we've been treated so.

No comments: