Monday, March 8, 2021

Random Thoughts

Sometimes alcoholics confuse boredom with peace and serenity.

After more spiritual development we find the source of perfect peace to be God himself.

Religion is for people who don't want to go to Hell - Spirituality is for people who've already been there.

Do I want freedom from fear or freedom from want?  THAT is a stupid question . . . almost as stupid as Do I want to be happy or do I want to be right?

Why don't you worry about it a little more?  Maybe that'll help . . . . .

I do not hold with those who believe alcoholism is entirely a problem of mental control.   These men were not drinking to escape; they were drinking to overcome a craving beyond their mental control.

It's the first drink that I have to worry about.  That's the one that gets me drunk.  It's not the caboose that kills you - it's the locomotive.

What other people do is none of my business.  None.  Of.  My.  Business.

I'm responsible for my second thought and my first action.  The first thought is sort of a wild card.

Love people for who they are and not who you want them to be.

I love the psychological theory of Risk Versus Reward.  Every day I'm balancing what I get out of something and with the potential for a bad outcome.  Even with something as simple as driving a car - there's very little risk but  potential for a horrible outcome.  I've decided that the convenience and necessity of driving a car is worth that very small chance.  I do this knowing that today a few people in my town are going to drive a car and something awful is going to happen.  We make hundreds of choices like this every day.  I have to remember that sometimes my perceived risk/reward calculation is going to be different from someone else's.

God gave me this Program but he expects me to put in a ton of work.

If I take care of my internal world then the external world takes care of itself.

Humility is acknowledging that I'm not always right.  (Ed. Note: Ack!)

For a guy who made a mess of his life I'm cocksure about how everyone else should live theirs.  (Ed. Note: D'oh!!)

No comments: