Sunday, March 7, 2021

It's Not A Lie . . . If YOU Believe It

Always a good personal reminder: meditation is not about stopping my thinking.  I don't have to strive to get to point where I get lost in some nether world.  Meditation is about watching my thinking drift by without judging it or trying to control it.  "Huh, that's an interesting thought," I should say, before I simply go back to paying attention to my breathing.  Breath in - Breath out.  Let Go - Let God.

Intuitively handle things which used to baffle me.  That was a huge list, that bafflement list.

George Costanza: "Remember . . . it's not a lie if you believe it."

Rereading my daily journal beginning last summer.  A lot of predictions and a lot of misses.  Some hits, probably more hits than misses, but a shit-ton of misses.  This is why I try not to get too wrapped up in what's going to "happen" in the future - I'm pretty lousy at predicting it.  I'm often way off.  I'm occasionally not even in the game.

The difference between an apology - saying I'm sorry - and an amend - actually changing my behavior - is a difference that is important to remember.  I need to do both, of course, but the not-doing-it-again part is critical.

Coming to embrace an almost total digital existence.  Ones and Zeroes.  Thought as mathematics.  Losing what is material and becoming electricity.  If we're lucky our presence on earth is felt for 3 generations and - without children - you'll be forgotten for the most part in 25 years.  Bits and scraps of your life might be interesting in a vague historical way: "Huh, I wonder who this Seaweed guy was who scribbled in the margins of this book long ago . . . "

I'm a Balker and a Stove Toucher.

The Twelve Stumbling Steps and Twelve Not-Traditional Traditions.

If I let go a little, I get a little.
If I let go a lot, I get a lot.

"Enter the dark wood where there was no path, for it is a shameful thing to take a path that someone has trod before."  Attributed to the Holy Grail.

You can act your way into a new way of thinking much more easily than you can think your way into a new of acting.

There has never been anything like unbridled capitalism in the United States - State, Federal, and local governments have been involved from the very beginning.

Doubting God is no barrier to a spiritual experience.

I find this idea of insisting on my right to do whatever I want to do perilously close to saying I don't care what happens to you.  What kind of message does this send to our new members when we're not following the law?  That you should obey the rules - that you should live an honest, ethical life unless you disagree with the rules?  That's chaos.  That's anarchy.

No comments: