Wednesday, March 10, 2021

I Made A Mistake? I Don't Think So

The concept of loving people for who they are and not for who I want them to be has really been percolating through my frontal cortex lately.  And why would I want it to be any different?  This attitude toward life allows me the leeway to have all kinds of unpleasant emotions and reactions to other people - friends, family, loved ones, casual acquaintances, coworkers  - without the consequence of rejecting them as people.  You don't believe the way I do?  So what.  You irritate the shit out of me from time to time?  Good for you.  Just because I occasionally have an unpleasant reaction to you as a person doesn't mean I can't allow you to be a presence in my life.

I have a friend from high school - high school! - who has been one of my dearest and closest friends for 45 years and with whom I argue and bicker all the time.  I love engaging with him even though he annoys the hell out of me about 70% of the time.  Our friendship is constant and enduring but if I sent you a transcript of some of our conversations you might be tempted to think otherwise.  I cherish these differences.  They're good for me.  They make me stretch and grow and consider all kinds of matters from a different perspective.  And they're a kind of mental combat which sharpens my wit and makes me engage in the world differently than I would if I were simply hanging around people who thought as I do.

I think it's a wonderful thing to be in conflict with others from time to time and not have a relationship be ruined.  It enlarges my being.  It allows me to make mistakes in my people skills with no long-term consequences and it makes me allow mistakes in others.  I get to say: "Hmmm.  Maybe he made a mistake.  Maybe it was me was wrong.  Hmmm."

No comments: