Tuesday, June 9, 2020

The Irony of It All

Irony:  A state of affairs or event that seems deliberately contrary to what one and is often amusing as a result.

There are a lot of people out there who seem to be mad about everything all the time.  They're mad!

I'm so glad.
I'm so glad.
I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad!
-- Cream

I am in a deep, constant state of reflection about The Problem versus The Solution.  I am in a consistent state of amazement at how many people are wallowing in the muck and mud of what's wrong.  I do need to remember that a.  I've got it pretty good and b. I've got a pretty powerful program backing me up.  I am trying to see things from the point of view of the bitchers.  I'm trying to understand that some people are bitching because they're taking a hit.  I haven't lost a job.  I am not living on the edge financially.  I am not having to suddenly adjust to a spouse or school age children who are now at home, demanding my attention.  These are fundamental, existential changes to life.

One of the great things about writing is that it hangs around.  It's still there after I've moved on to other things, assuming I haven't burned the paper or deleted the electronica.  It can be very inconvenient reading about my state of mind after the fact.  Sometimes it can be very inconvenient almost immediately.

To wit: I have been burbling with self-righteous indignation three days after the business meeting that so irritated me because everyone didn't see the brilliance, the wisdom, of my Plan of Action.  I do note that I've had a love/hate relationship with this group for a long time.  Part of this is that I'm not a huge fan of large meetings.  I think they favor aggressive, dominating personalities and those individuals who like to be on stage, with the subtext being that some of these people aren't that interesting or bright or insightful.  The sub-subtext here, of course, is that I am interesting and bright and insightful.

I think I'm a little mad.

I think I'm a little right.  I think that some of the dominating personalities let their political beliefs break the surface.  There was a strong "let's get everything back to normal immediately" which - by all rights - is fine except that there was no discussion about accommodation people who are less eager to abandon a new format that is working for them - maybe for reasons of convenience or safety or even reasonable fear.  Seems to me that a split meeting - in person for those who want to return to the good, old days and Zoom for those of us who find remote meetings perfectly acceptable.

I know I'm not easy-going.  Wear the world like a loose garment, my ass.  I wear the world like a spandex unitard two sizes too small that shrank in the wash.  I'm quite calm in my demeanor so lots of people mistake this for an accepting personality.

Whew, are they off-base.

The irony here is that I wrote some shit about my disdain for angry people and then a few days later I'm . . . not angry, really, more like mildly annoyed.

No comments: