Saturday, June 20, 2020

Normal!

Normal:  Usual, healthy, ordinary; the same as would be expected.
(Usage Notes: When used to describe a group of people, normal can be understood as meaning that those not part of the group are strange or freakish.  Its usage can therefore be understood as offensive.)

As we slalom through pandemic-land, snapping this way and then that, narrowly missing gates, indeed clipping some of them, losing our balance, then getting into a groove where everything's working,  before almost taking a nasty spill, I'm aware that my AA friends are coming to grips with our morphing world in different ways.  There is definitely a contingent who wants things to "get back to normal" as quickly as possible.  They want things to be the way they used to be, whatever that means.  They're frustrated and chomping at the bit.  They're sitting in their cars, revving their engines, cursing at the red light.

Look, I get it - I don't like everything about my life in the last three months.  I've lived a comfortable life in sobriety where I've gotten to do whatever I want to do - for the most part - and some of these routines and rituals and seances have been disrupted.  I also know that I like change sometimes - I don't want to do the same shit over and over and over because I get bored.  So I do new things.  Sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't.  Sometimes I find something better than what I had before.  Sometimes my choices are disastrous vis-a-vis my comfort level.  But they always, always, always give me a new perspective on the relative strengths and weaknesses of my life.  Often I'll come back to a routine that was frustrating or unsatisfactory wearing a new pair of glasses.

I don't know what people mean when they say "I don't like Zoom meetings."  Well, tough shit.  That's what we've got right now.  Suck it up and find the positives in this disruption of your cherished routines.  Find the good in it.  Take a break and embrace something new.  This pandemic isn't forever unless it is and then what are you going to do?  Sometimes life changes irrevocably and forever.  You're going to get sick, you're going to lose loved ones and jobs and money and the constant presence of your children, you may get divorced or become disabled.  

I see that those of us who constantly agitate to "get things back to normal" are often frustrated and unhappy.  I see that they're concentrating on what they don't like about the new and focusing on what they've lost.  This is understandable but it can also be hazardous to your mental health if you're in one of those situations where things are never going to go back to how they used to be.  Quit bargaining with god.

I'll tell you I'm staying away from those people right now.  Even for someone who's trying to go with the flow these are challenging times so I don't need to be around people who are bitching about everything.

No comments: