Sunday, June 7, 2020

Business Meeting AHHHHH!

An update on my performance at the Saturday business meeting because it is, of course, all about me.  EVERYONE wants to know how I'm doing.  EVERYONE wants my advice on EVERYTHING.  How do I know this?  It's common knowledge, an unspoken fact that doesn't need to be mentioned, sort of like the presence of gravity or the existence of the sun.  No one gets up in the morning and says: "Holy shit, what is that hot, bright orb in the sky?!?"  Similarly people are innately interested in Stevie Seaweed.  And I'm not saying this to be arrogant.  It's more along the lines of Usain Bolt knowing that he's the fastest human on the planet.  It's implied.  It doesn't have to be discussed.  Nobody begins their day wondering who can run the fastest 100 yard dash.  Everyone knows.  Usain Bolt can

Anyway, back to the meeting.  I did not speak a word and this wasn't hard to do because I had already laid the ground work for not being pissed off when EVERYONE didn't want to know what I thought we should do and then, to make a bad situation worse, to contribute to a deteriorating situation, NO ONE would think what I wanted to do was such a great idea should I be asked to speak.  

When we have our monthly in-person business meeting we're lucky if ten people out of our 100 members can be bothered to show up and a lot of these people attended the regular meeting that took place literally right before the business meeting so all they have to do, literally, is remain seated.  It's not as if you have to drive around for an hour to attend.  You just don't get up and leave.  It is literally easier to attend the business meeting than it is to avoid it.  Avoiding it takes more effort.  One has to work harder to miss the business meeting but almost everyone chooses that option.

As I've come to expect when there are any significant matters to discuss a lot of people with very strong opinions who aren't really regular members of the group show up and spout off, and then disappear again for weeks at a time, leaving the rest of us to deal with the wreckage of their decisions.  They can do this, of course, but it annoys the shit out of me.  If you aren't a regular maybe keep your fucking mouth shut when we're discussing format changes that are going to effect us but not effect you.  How about that?

And because there is a lot of political and social tension in the US right now some political and social posturing played out, mostly from people who want things to go back exactly the way they were as quickly as possible.  We can debate until the cows come home if this is ever going to happen let alone whether it's going to happen by noon next Thursday but some of these folks were belligerent about how much they disliked the way things are now and why we need to have them restored to their liking immediately.

While I wasn't upset during the proceedings I could feel my gorge rising, my spleen engorging, and a pleasant self-righteous irritation swelling into a state of engorgement.  I called my sponsor, a guy who is much more easy-going than me, and he laughed about a couple of the more egregious violations of our Traditions.  He also brushed off my predictions about why things weren't going to work out if they weren't done my way.  These two character traits are important for me in a sponsor: someone who handles the world with a lighter touch and someone who prefers to give something a shot instead of rejecting it for reasons that haven't occurred yet and may never occur.

I'm OK now.  I know you were concerned about me but I'm just fine.

No comments: