Sunday, June 28, 2020

Edgy

More AA during the pandemic . . . 

Edgy:  On the boundary between acceptable and offensive; pushing the boundaries of good taste.

"Sometimes when I see those people who always have to have a mask on I just want to smash them in the face."  

I heard this in my morning meeting today.  This is one of those meetings with which I have a Love/Hate relationship.  You know the kind - half the people there make me mental and half are my family.  Well, they're all my family but sometimes family makes me blanch.  I know this guy was trying to be funny - and he frequently is - and I know he was trying to be edgy funny - and he frequently is not.  Edgy is hard to do.  Sometimes edgy can just be edgy.

Unfortunately I see the sharp division in our society drifting into AA.  I hope we know what we're doing.  I realize there are people who think the entire pandemic is overblown and politically motivated.  Unfortunately, these aren't the scientists or medical professionals.  We have members who are older or who are immunologically compromised or are around family members who fall into these one of these categories so I'm not sure that suggesting that if they show up at a meeting that a young guy who's occasionally called "Angry [Insert Name Here]" might smash them in the face is such a good idea. 

Then I go to a business meeting.  This never ends well for me.  Apparently - incredibly - despite the fact that we have been repeatedly saying that the church where we meet hasn't been charging us rent that they do, in fact, want their rent money, or at least half of it.  This is a pretty big sum of money.  My inclination is to tell the church to go fuck themselves.  I also spent some time thinking it through and I realize they've been a good partner and that replacing a seven-day-a-week meeting place on short notice might be hard.  Also, they might be struggling for money, too, although I fail to see why that should fall on AA.

I believe, of course, that the almost unanimous decision was to immediately pay the amount requested which will take a chunk out of our prudent reserve.  Practically speaking this is probably what a prudent reserve is for but that balm doesn't salve my burn much.  The amusing side note is that this is like the only meeting I've ever attended that can't manage to collect ONE dollar per attendee, let alone two.  I tossed my two bucks in the basket for a few year, watching the homeless people pour nineteen little containers of specialty creamer into their coffee before deciding that I'd toss in a buck to pay for my portion of the rent and then give the second dollar to the treasury of smaller meetings that I attend.

Who's not getting his way?  Who's a good boy?  Who's a good boy not getting his way?

I believe that I am an individual who should go to a lot of different meetings.  I sure get annoyed at the personalities who show up every day at the same meeting.  That, to me, is behavior bordering on the deranged.

No comments: