Sunday, January 21, 2018

Wear The World Like A Loose Garment

And back to my buddy . . . . 

One of the biggest emotional connections I have with him revolves around our shared tendency to drive hard to the hoop, so to speak.  This is often a good thing until it's not.  When there's a 280 pound, 6 foot 11 inch center camped in the vicinity of the rim one could make the case to pull it out and throw up a wild three.  The driving fool can score a lot of points.  He can eat some basketballs, too.  

This rarely stops either of us.  We score a lot.  I'm also missing most of my front teeth.

It's easy to sit on the bench and wonder what the hell is going through the mind of the guy challenging the monster in the middle.  When he snakes through the defense and scores I'm filled with admiration.  When he's picking pieces of leather out of his scalp I'm a little more dismissive.

I am grateful for my spiritual upbringing.  I'm also grateful for the sense of proportion that has come out of my time in The Fellowship.  I still go like a bat outta hell, just not all of the time.  Prayer and meditation has provided me with some perspective on life, the knowledge that I'm not going to get what I want all of the time and that I'm not going to avoid some shit that I'd rather avoid.

Today I make a list of what I want and I'm thrilled no end when I get half of it.  I don't make ridiculous lists any more.  It is not realistic to expect to get everything that I want.  I don't punish myself like that.

Wear the world like a loose garment.

No comments: